Sunday, February 8, 2009

Winston: On Facial Fur

Mom’s computer is broken. I swear that Franklin and I had nothing to do with it. (Probably.)

Yes, we were walking across the keyboard a few nights ago, before being rudely told to go about our normal business. However, the blow-up happened when she was playing that game—the one with the flashing spells and the cool music and all—and suddenly the machine made a “pop” sound, and died. Her tech friend said she probably has a faulty hard drive.

This is not a good thing.

But in a way it is a bit of a good thing because the computer is out for repair. In the meantime, she won’t be able to embarrass me by putting up pictures of me in my current, somewhat dilapidated state.

I don’t know what happened. I can’t for the life of me figure it out. Franklin first called attention to the situation by pointing at me and laughing one afternoon, as Mom was petting me. (I think he was jealous that she was cooing over me, and wanted to divert attention in his direction.) Anyway, Mom suddenly exclaimed, “Winston, what happened to your whiskers? They’re a mess!”

Now, I can’t see them very well--it makes me even more cross-eyed when I try--but she says about a third of my whiskers are broken off, a couple are bent at odd angles, and I have fewer above one eye than the other. I heard her tell a friend, “Winston looks pretty funny right now.” Franklin has taken to stroking his luxuriant whiskers in front of everyone, softly chuckling behind his paw. I have tried to tell folks that this whole thing is an intentional fashion choice, that I was going for this season’s “rakish look,” but so far no one seems to be buying it.

The race is on: I must regrow a snootful of whiskers and pop a few more on my forehead before the computer gets back and I’m forever captured in an embarrassing photograph! I hope to win this contest, if only by… yes… a whisker. ;)

4 Comments:

At February 9, 2009 at 7:52 AM , Blogger Linda said...

Winston, where did you stick your whiskers that they shouldn't have been? I'm pretty sure you can't be blamed for the hard drive failure, but I hope the tech doesn't find any incriminating kitty bits.

 
At February 9, 2009 at 11:51 AM , Blogger Gaile Gray said...

Oh wow, that's a possibility, I guess. I've seen little kitty pawprints on the keyboard, and a noseprint on the screen one time, but whiskers in, say, the fan might explain the unexpected HD death.

I may need to take the cost of the replacement out of my kitty toy budget. :)

 
At February 11, 2009 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Broken whiskers? Wow! I haven't seen that in a kitty. Poor Winston! Check the rest of his coat, though. If he seems to have problems elsewhere, it's time for a visit to the vet.

It also might be worth seeing if the boyz are interested in the computer. If so, then turning it off when not in use might be a Very Good Idea (tm).

Sorry about your hard drive. I presume it's now fixed and you can entertain both of the boyz with the cool game with music and flashing spells.

 
At February 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Gaile Gray said...

I was a little concerned at first, but I think I've figured it out. Win has a habit of sidling behind my desk. He's not allowed, but try telling him that! I have a feeling his kitty curiosity got the best of him and he stuck his nose too close to the computer fan which, while covered to prevent entry of nose or paw, could let a whisker slide in. I bet that is the source of his current dilapidation.

I agree, K: Judging from the cat-astrophe that is my desk each morning, shutting down the computer at bedtime is a very good plan. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home