Sunday, November 16, 2008

Finding a Life Partner. Or two.

Well, ok, maybe I don't exactly mean "life partner" like it's usually used. Maybe "making a longterm commitment?" ;) The point is, indoor cats live 15 years and more. This means a search for a kitty is serious business. ('Scuse me, srs bsns.)

Losing George was rough. But after a few weeks, at the urging of friends and family, I began a semi-sorta search. I'd check online ads but not call. Visit a few pet adoption places but leave without. I started getting telephone pep talks: "Look at the face in that ad!" "Aw, that one was abandoned; you should go get him tomorrow!"

I don't know what prompted me to follow-up on the ad from the family in Puyallup. The ad was pretty much like any other, but for some reason I dropped the family an email and asked for pictures. I received three: one of the adorable kittens and one each of the gorgeous parent cats. I set up an appointment for the weekend.

I woke up Saturday morning after a very late Halloween night. I was feeling a little peckish and almost canceled, but I didn't want to be rude. So we headed south to meet the cats and kittens and the family they owned. The family was really nice; the kitty family was very attractive. (Gorgeous parent cats; the daddy has the silkiest fur I've ever felt.) The litter consisted of one female (the leader of the pack, although the tiniest) and five males. The female was already spoken for, as were two of the males, and the family was keeping one, so that left two kittens on the table. Or under it. Or behind it. Or in the other room wrestling with their siblings.

The kittens were rather shy around people. Just 8 weeks old, I don't think they'd seen a lot of strangers. They looked at us curiously but weren't making too many forward movements. In fact, the darker of the two threw a wee hissy fit (literally!) when I startled him with a sudden movement. So, they were very cute, but face it, it's a kitten's job to be cute. I wasn't sure, maybe it was too early, maybe this wasn't a good idea...

And yet, after an hour (and bless the family's patience with our long visit!), the choice was clear: that one over there, showing off on the scratching post after pouncing on my shoelace.
After a second hour, it was impossible to choose.

We took them both. :)


Winston - 8 weeks

Franklin - 8 weeks

3 Comments:

At November 20, 2008 at 2:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better watch with those, the one in the bottom picture is already planning something, I can see it!

 
At November 20, 2008 at 3:25 AM , Blogger Marc Jensen said...

Ah, I'm glad to see that you got both of them together. Siamese, in my experience, have always been good in pairs. They tend to keep each other company should their inconsiderate staff head off to work for the day. ;)

 
At November 23, 2008 at 3:39 AM , Blogger Tribke said...

Those are 2 cute and adorable cats you got there now! Do they have names already?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home